Telecom Regulatory Authority Of India(TRAI), conducted an online brainstorming session on “Encouraging Research & Development in Telecom and Broadcasting Sectors” on 24th February 2021 with the academia, industry and R&D institutions. The session was chaired by Dr P.D. Vaghela, Chairman, TRAI.
The TRAI Chairman highlighted the role of telecom and broadcasting industry in country’s GDP growth. He emphasised importance of indigenous Research & Development in telecom and broadcasting sector which will lead to domestic manufacturing and will result in reduction of import of equipment in these sectors. The indigenous R&D will help India making AatmaNirbhar in these sectors.
Dr Vaghela mentioned that telecom and broadcasting sectors have great potential and will play an important role in making India a 5 trillion-dollar economy. He assured the representatives of academia, research institutes and industry that TRAI will act as a facilitator between Govt, academia and telecom and broadcasting industries.
In his address SK Gupta, Secretary, TRAI highlighted need for having strong academia-industry and Government linkage and having a focussed approach on R&D in Telecom and Broadcasting sectors.
The session was attended by representatives of Prasar Bharti, CDoT. TSDSI, lIT Kanpur, IITMadras, IIT Delhi and representatives of telecom service providers. broadcasting and cable service providers.
During the deliberation on the subject a number of suggestions were received viz:
- Need for having a structured approach for making conducive environment for keeping focus on Indigenous R&D and for providing consistent support for the same
- Incentivising R&D efforts in India
- Adoption of indigenous technologies by the industry and by assured purchase orders for equipment to R&D institutions and startups
- Having a strong linkage of academia, research institutes and industry
- Increasing Indian participation in international forums in R&D in the development of standards for emerging new technologies
- Haying a shared database of the R&D in telecom and broadcasting by various institutions
In order to achieve above objectives it was decided that a high level committee of senior officials from academia, industry, research institutions and a few focus groups consists of representatives from these institutions will be formed under aegis of TRAI to carry forward the task of encouraging R&D in Telecom and Broadcasting sectors.
A focussed and coherent approach will leap frog India to become ‘AtmaNirbhar’ in telecom
and broadcasting field.
To take this move forward TRAI invites valuable suggestions from various stakeholders viz Academia, telecom & broadcasting industry, related research organisations, students, startups and general public for “Encouraging R&D in Telecom and Broadcasting sectors in India”.
The suggestions may be given by 15th March, 2021 through email to email@example.com